Sous Vide Mackerel with Picked Green Tomatoes | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Sous Vide Mackerel with Cinnamon-Spiced Tomato Water, Burrata and Pickled Green Tomatoes
Chris Holland Sous Vide Mackerel with Cinnamon-Spiced Tomato Water, Burrata and Pickled Green Tomatoes Fish and Seafood
- COOK TIME: 1 hour
- PREP TIME: 1 hour
- DIFFICULTY: Medium
- SERVES: 4
- 2 whole mackerel
- salt to season
- pepper to season
Pickled Green Tomatoes
- 400g of green tomatoes
- 200g of water
- 125g of white wine vinegar
- 100g of sugar
- 2g of salt
- 1kg plum tomatoes
- 5g of celery salt
- 2 drops of Tabasco
- 200ml of water
- 1 shallot
- 1 garlic clove
- 5g of basil
- 3.5g of xanthan gum
- 1 burrata
- cinnamon stick
- basil leaves
Back to Recipes
Recipe courtesy of Martin Wishart from www.greatbritishchefs.com
- Preheat the water bath to a temperature of 46⁰C.
- Make the pickling liquid for the tomatoes. Mix together the water, white wine vinegar and sugar and heat in a medium-sized saucepan. When the mixture starts to boil, remove the pan from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Cut the green tomatoes into 2mm-thick slices. Sprinkle a little salt over the slices and layer them inside a kilner jar. Add the pickling liquid to the jar and seal. Leave to pickle.
- To cook the mackerel, begin by filleting and deboning the fish. Add a little seasoning to the fillets then seal them inside a vacuum bag. Use a chamber sealer set on full pressure to do this. Place the bag in the water bath and leave to cook for 8-10 minutes.
- To make the tomato water, mix together the plum tomatoes, celery salt, Tabasco, water, shallot, garlic and basil. Pulse in a blender until coarsely chopped.
- Strain the mixture using a fine sieve, then again using muslin cloth. Measure out 500ml of the strained mixture and mix together with the xanthan gum, whisking thoroughly to combine. Pass through the fine sieve one more time to remove any remaining lumps.
- Take the sous vide mackerel out of the bag and lay it on a wire rack or heatproof mat. Apply a blowtorch to the skin until it is crisp and charred.
- To serve, arrange a few pickled tomato slices in the bottom of each bowl. Lay a fillet of mackerel on top and add some of the tomato water, allowing it to pool around the fish.
- Place a few more pickled tomato slices on top of the fish. Tear the burrata cheese into large pieces and scatter around the dish, then finish with a generous grating of cinnamon and a handful of basil leaves.