Sous Vide Salmon and Oyster Ceviche | Recipe by sousvidetools.com
Sous Vide Salmon, Compressed Cucumber, Oyster Ceviche and Oyster Mayonnaise
Chris Holland Sous Vide Salmon, Compressed Cucumber, Oyster Ceviche and Oyster Mayonnaise Sous Vide Christmas Recipes
- COOK TIME: 1 hour
- PREP TIME: 2 Hours
- DIFFICULTY: Medium
- SERVES: 10
- 300g of salmon fillet, middle cut
- 5 oysters
- 25g of curly parsley
- 200ml of vegetable oil
- 1 cucumber
- 3 oysters
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 gelatine leaves, softened in water
- lemon juice
- herbs, chopped
- crème fraîche
- pea shoots
Back to Recipes
Recipe courtesy of Mark Jordan from www.greatbritishchefs.com
- Preheat water bath to 52°C.
- To prepare the salmon slice the fillet into two lengthways, trimming any extra bits of flesh to leave a long, neat barrel. Place onto cling film and season well with salt. Wrap the salmon, tying the cling film at either end.
- Place the salmon in the water bath and cook sous vide for 12 minutes. Remove the cooked salmon and leave to set in the fridge for around 45 minutes.
- For the cucumber tagliatelle, start by peeling the cucumber and then peel the flesh to create long strips. Next, season with plenty of salt and seal the cucumber strips in a vacuum bag.
- Place into a water bath and allow to cook for 10 minutes. Plunge into iced water to refresh.
- To make the oyster mayonnaise, start by opening the oysters and then place them in a container with the parsley.
- Use a hand blender to blitz the oysters and parsley together while also gradually pouring in the vegetable oil.
- After thoroughly combining the vegetable oil, mix in a couple of drops of boiling water. The mayonnaise can now be transferred to a squeezy bottle and placed in the fridge to set.
- To make the oyster ceviche, start by opening the oysters and save the juice to make the jelly.
- Remove any scraps of shell or muscle from the oysters and cut the flesh into pieces. Transfer to a container.
- To make the cucumber jelly, blitz the cucumbers whole and then use a fine sieve to create a smooth consistency. Measure out 300ml of the cucumber juice.
- Remove any foam from the surface of the cucumber juice. In a saucepan, mix with 20ml of oyster juice. Warm through gently on a low heat.
- Place the gelatine leaves into the juice and dissolve over a gentle heat. This mixture can then be passed through a fine sieve once more and seasoned with lemon juice and salt. Divide the liquid evenly among 10 small-sized dishes and leave in the fridge to set.
- To plate, cut the salmon into pieces measuring 2.5cm. Take the cling film off and cover the salmon in chopped herbs and position on top of the cucumber jelly. Create small cylinders of cucumber tagliatelle and arrange 3 of these around each piece of salmon.
- Dot small blobs of oyster mayonnaise around the plate before garnishing with caviar. Arrange the oyster ceviche and a few pea shoots on the plate before placing a quenelle of crème fraîche atop the salmon to finish.